Sunday, March 15, 2009

rice

I read the article Mrs. Jarrett linked to her blog about rice farmers in Africa, called West African Villagers Stake Their Fortunes on the Future Price of Rice by Lydia Polgreen. It is about Rice farmers who are risking everything to make a profit. Since the prices of food are so high all over the globe, some people are trying to take advantage of it. Farmers can either double their profits or loose everything. Mame Bassine Gaye, is a rice producer who this year went all out to increase production, borrowing money from from a local credit cooperative and family members. She stated “If I win, I will win big,” she said. “But if I lose, I’ll lose big. I am worried because of my debts. If you don’t pay, they cut you off. I could lose everything.” Which is just about what every other rice farmer is thinking this year sonce there is so much competition.

No comments: